We use a method called Simply Music, and these aren’t ordinary piano lessons. Simply Music enables piano students to play more songs, of higher quality, in much less time, far more easily than is possible with other methods.
Our young students are playing great-sounding music from their very first lessons, and they are learning 30 to 50 songs in their first year. Our adult students are recovering lost skills or discovering the musicality they thought they didn’t have. Our students are making the piano a companion for a lifetime.
What goals do we have for our students?
We want our students to achieve four main goals:
- To experience playing the piano as a natural self-expression
- To play a vast repertoire of great-sounding music
- To learn to self-generate; our students learn how to teach themselves and progress on their own
- To have a highly positive experience, both in their lessons and when they practice at home
What skills do our students acquire?
Simply Music develops a deep and wide suite of skills and knowledge. For example, after one year of lessons, our students will typically:
- Play 30 to 50 pop, blues, jazz and classical songs from memory anytime, anywhere
- Arrange their own versions of existing songs
- Compose their own songs
- Learn lead sheets of their own choosing with minimal assistance from their teacher
- Play accompaniments with singers or other musicians
- Understand and use standard chord structures
- Transpose songs into any key, in real time, using standard chord structures
- Understand and use a wide variety of contemporary chords in every key
- Play music with character and emotion
- Be comfortable playing for audiences
- Delight in playing the piano for themselves and for others
After 3 years of lessons, our students
- Continue with everything in the first list
- Read sheet music and use it to learn songs on their own, of a variety of styles
- Play an additional 30 songs from sheet music provided by the instructor and the student, from all genres and of substantially greater complexity and musical expression
- Understand and use more complex chord progressions, including jazz harmony
- Understand and use integrated theory
Piano students gain much more than these skills:
Check out the video to the right to learn how learning an instrument improves creativity, problem solving, persistence and many other fundamental skills and abilities!
Our studio families tell us that piano lessons are a highlight of the week! Read what Simply Music students are saying:
“My daughter is advancing through the program at remarkable speed. The program is amazing – she can’t get enough. Her traditional lessons were going nowhere – she hated them. Now she’s flying through Simply Music and loves it!”
Jim Thomson, parent
I cannot tell you how thrilled I am! I have mastered the first songs easily and am now on the Blues. All I can say is a big THANK YOU for devising this wonderful way of teaching people to play the piano, I shall be eternally grateful to you.”
Beryl, Adult Student
Nathan, age 5
Let our highly skilled and patient teachers help you and yours become musically expressed for a lifetime. We are ready to help and we can accommodate nearly any schedule. New classes start frequently. Would you like to know more? A great way to get your questions answered is to attend a FREE Introductory Session at the studio.
We present FREE Introductory Sessions on Thursdays and Saturday afternoons. If you would like to participate in one of these sessions, please push the button, below, which will take you to our EventBrite scheduler, where you may select the session that you would like to attend.
If you would like to speak with us before registering for a Free Introductory Session, please call us at 785-856-4400. If we are unable to answer your call, please leave a message and we will get back to you within one business day. Or, you may complete the contact form, below, and we will respond within one business day.